Saturday, May 14, 2011

Smile (graphic novel)- by Raina Telgemeier


Telgemeier, R. (2010). Smile. California: Scolastic/Graphix
Summary
This graphic novel covers the first five years following the author's accident that resulted in the loss of her two front teeth. She has to go through tortuous oral surgeries, embarrassing implants, false teeth, and headgear. To make matters worse, Raina is going through the equally painful adolescence full of body changes, first crushes, and major awkwardness.
Review
Never before have I read such an eerily similar version of my tween years! I was awkward, needed braces and headgear and middle school was horrible! It wasn't until I grew out of the awkward phase did I realize that I was actually not that cool, which could have fooled me because I had great friends who treated me the way I treated them! This book is a great graphic novel that sums up the painful adolescent stage perfectly.
Genre
Graphic Novel
Reading Age/Interest Level
9-13 years/Tween
Similar Books
Amelia Rules series- Jeff Gownley
Dork Diaries- Rachel Renee Russel
The Popularity Papers- Amy Ignatow
Awards
Nominated for the Eisner Award for Best Published Books for Tweens- 2011
Boston Globe Horn Book Awards for Excellence in Children's Literature- 2011
Author Information
Raina Telgemeier grew up in San Francisco, and moved to New York City to study illustration at the School of Visual Arts. Her comics have been nominated for the Ignatz, Cybil, and Eisner Awards, and have appeared on the web, in magazines, and in various anthologies. She is the adaptor and illustrator of the Baby-sitters Club graphic novels, which were selected by YALSA for their Great Graphic Novels for Teens list in 2006, as well as ALA's Top 10 Graphic Novels for Youth list.
Readers Annotation
Middle School is already full of changing bodies, first crushes, and major awkwardness, add embarrassing head gear and false teeth and you have a story that beats all.

No comments:

Post a Comment