Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tales of the Cryptids:Mysterious Creatures by Halls, Spears, and Young


Halls, Spears & Young. (2006). Tales of the cryptids: mysterious creatures that may or may not exist. Los Angeles: Darby Creek Publishing.
Summary
Pictures, facts, and first hand "accounts" of legends like Bigfoot, Nessie, Chupacabra, and other crazy cryptids fill the pages of this great book. Readers will love the hilarious conversational text, great pictures and drawings of these weird creatures, and enticing history and background of creatures like the Giant Squid and the Mongolian Death Worm.
Review
I love anything weird. I read all books about legends, monsters, ghosts, and cryptids and what tween doesn't love weird and unusual creatures that suck the eyeballs out of sheep or furry men that scratch at back doors and eat the neighborhood cats? This is a great book that introduces mythology, legends, and sheer silliness to tweens and even readers my age.
Genre
Non-Fiction
Reading Age/Interest Level
8-13 years/ Tweens
Similar Books
Cryptid Hunters- Roland Smith
The Official Cryptid Field Guide- Golden Books
Encyclopedia Horrifica- Joshua Gee
Readers Annotation
For all of those monster hunters, disbelievers, and creepy crawlers...





2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so glad you liked my book TALES OF THE CRYPTIDS. You made my day!

    Kelly Milner Halls
    www.wondersofweird.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made MY day Kelly!
    I am a children's librarian and your book is one of our most popular non-fiction books checked out by kids! Whenever I help a reluctant reader who doesn't really know what they want...I go straight to your book, and they love it!
    Rachelle Lopez

    ReplyDelete